Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Top 5 Faves

I've been a blog stalker for quite a while. In fact, I have more than thirty blogs bookmarked, that I visit (almost) everyday.  It is a sickness.  They range from food and cooking blogs, to sewing and crafting blogs, to home renovation and design blogs, and even one that is a parenting blog.  I'm not an official "follower" of any of them.  Instead, I prefer just to click, one by one, on each of my bookmarks, and visit them in the morning as I get settled at my desk, or during a mid-day break.  I add new ones all the time, give them each a week to see whether they deserve a permanent spot on my favorites list, and cold-heartedly delete if they don't make the cut.  Some of my favorites are favorites because I get the sense, as I read the posts, that I might like to be friends with the author in real life, or because they have the same design/food taste as me or simply because the author's "voice" is entertaining.  Others are favorites simply out of aspiration.  As I became a fan of blogs, I started making mental notes of what I liked, and didn't like, about the various blogs I came across, for the day when I might take the plunge and start a blog of my own. 

I give you my Top Five Favorite Blogs:

1.  Young House Love
This is the blog that started it all for me.  I have been following it for so long that I can not recall how I came across it. Suffice it to say that their budget-friendly DIY renovation, decorating, and art projects had me at "budget".  Oh, and the fact that they have found a way to make blogging a full-time job for both of them is my idea of heaven.

2.  Nesting Place
The Nester's motto, "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful" says it all for me.   Her window mistreatments are genius. I will be needing new drapes in the back of my house this Spring, and I plan to follow her lead.

3.  The Pioneer Woman
I think it was a link to a recipe that first took me to The Pioneer Woman's blog, and it was the story of how she and her husband fell in love that kept me reading for an entire work day coming back.  She has tips on everything from homeschooling, to photography, to cooking.  Every single recipe of hers that I've made has been delicious. And, she's hilarious. 

4.  Clover Lane
The writer of Memories on Clover Lane is the mother of five kids.  Though I'm not yet a parent myself, I find that she and I share similar philosophies, both about parenting and life in general.  I think I have shared more links to Clover Lane with my friends than any other blog.  And, it appears that her husband is an Ohio State fan.  What's not to like about that?!

5.  How Sweet It Is
Though I have not been a long time reader, I have known about this blog for quite some time, as the author is the daughter of a colleague. I used to periodically visit to see what she had cooked up.  But, I just recently added this blog to my favorites.  She's another blogger that has turned her blog in to a full-time job.  I secretly envy anyone that can turn a hobby into a full-time job.  I think this one is a favorite because she is proof that people really can do it.  Sure, lots of people have, including Young House Love and The Pioneer Woman, but they are strangers.  Knowing someone personally who has made it work, somehow makes it seem possible. 

There you have it.  My top 5 favorite blogs.  How about you, do you have a few favorites that you would like to share?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing...I'm going to check these out. I always find myself going to Tory Burch's blog: http://blog.toryburch.com/. Great colors, photography, entertainment ideas, and clothing, of course. I especially like the "Wish We Were Here" section under "Inspiration" as she always has interesting travel destinations listed, along with photographs.

    ReplyDelete